Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Multi-Language database in objects

Frank Beister
Advisor
To make translation or multi-language objects easier to program a proposal:

As the paramter list there could be a text list inside the objects to which one could store all used text for input, output and possible values. Using them could be referencing by an index. The parameter description in the parameter-list could reference to it too. A global switch or a switch in the settings dialog could offer all available languages. Later translation (maybe by another but the author) or changing of the objects would be easier, because one has not to dig through the whole code for translation, but only through the text-list. For shure there must be a GLOBAL to indicate the script the environment.

I have made until now this by text arrays, which is not very handy in complex objects and too much work for small objects.

A tiny solution would be to make the parameter list descriptions changeable for different languages.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Please do this

You can find on the net a lot of interisting objects which aren't usable because of their language and not only the russian one —i'm well placed to know this point —.

Some authors don't want to show their code but want to share their objects with other users of differents languages.

We need an easier way to change the parameter names and the interface script so that the objects become finally really multilingual.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Fully agree with you.
And also would like to say that not only objects databases, but also AC's working environment must be Multi-Language, without need always manualy change application script code for each language.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I made changing of language Russian/Ukraine by GDL tools in parameter script section. I think it's developers problem. They didn't want do that.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
This is an important request. Too much time is spent on localizing both by Graphisoft and 3rd party developers. We're all missing out on some excellent parts only available in other markets. I strongly believe that all of Graphisoft's GDL work should be consolidated and made available to all. Some built-in way to handle language translation would greatly simplify this effort and would be an excellent investment.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x