BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Newbie 3D question

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm an AutoCAD user who's just started to learn ArchiCAD. I'm really stuck on one thing. I can't get anything to show up in the 3D perspective window (parallell projection works fine). All I get is a little cloudlike cursor icon, and I can't do anything. I've been looking through manuals and help files, but with no luck so far. I'm using ArchiCAD 7.
12 REPLIES 12
Frank Beister
Advisor
Choose the 'rebuilt'-function to update the 3d-model.

Have a look if your '3D Navigation window' is visible. There you find some buttons to navigate. If theres nothing to see in central perspective mode, but in parallel projection try to change your view point and camera direction. Best adjusted in the first dialog of your 3D menu.

Be aware, that you have some walls, slabs or roofs in the floor plan. No components, no 3D.

Have a look at the '3D-windows settings' of the 3D menu. The relevant stories have to be enabled.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I've checked all the things you mentioned, and I've been trying to move the camera, but without any luck. Is there any way to see the camera on the plan?
Anonymous
Not applicable
myosotis wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I've checked all the things you mentioned, and I've been trying to move the camera, but without any luck. Is there any way to see the camera on the plan?
Go to Image/3D Projection Settings.
Djordje
Ace
myosotis wrote:
Yes, if it is placed.

Did you place the camera? You can view the 3D without a camera placed, too.

If you want a camera that sees what is seen in the 3D window at the moment, do what the attachment says.

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Eduardo Rolon
The first time I started using AC I had the same problem and it took me a couple of hours to find the solution...

1) place camera in floor plan as you want
2) select camera
3) press ctrl+3 or cmd+3(mac) to go to the 3d window
4) bang head on desk as you realize that it was too easy
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Djordje
Ace
ejrolon wrote:
4) bang head on desk as you realize that it was too easy
Right click on the camera, select 3D Window from the context menu ... two clicks.

Now that the table is gone, the hole in the floor is getting bigger
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks everyone! I'll try this!
Anonymous
Not applicable
My guess is that you are looking away from what you want to see. When you look in the Perspectives Settings dialog box can you see the camera and target or is it looking away from the building? (circled below)

If you can not see the Target holding down the Alt key (WIN) or Option key (MAC) and clicking on what you want to look at sets the Target; holding down the Shift key and clicking where you would like the Camera to be sets the Camera.

BTW, what you see (of your model) in this window is dependent on what you see in your plan view (zoom out to see more)

Woody
Aussie John
Newcomer
another trip point for new players is if 3D cutaway has been selected in menu and you are looking through the cleared part
Aslo check your camera height and view height so you arnt looking over the top of your building
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Learn and get certified!