Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Calculating site coverage area while accounting for overlaps

Paul Roper
Booster

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to calculate the total area that multiple Elements cover (e.g. Roof objects), while accounting for any overlapping sections?

Referring to the attached example image: An Upper Floor Roof and a Lower Floor Roof, with part of the Upper Roof overlapping the Lower Roof. Adding up the areas of the two Roof objects gives an expected answer. The result I'm interested in is the area bounded by the black dotted line — the total area of the site that is covered by any Roof.

PaulRoper_0-1706128272038.png

Is there a way to combine the area totals while automatically subtracting the overlapping area?

Alternatively, I would appreciate any workflow suggestions. I'm hoping to avoid creating an additional object, but I can't think of how to achieve that at the moment.

AC23–26 3001 NZE | i511400F | 32GB | GTX1650
14 REPLIES 14

Thank you Steve, I quite like this method...it will work for me.

AC23–26 3001 NZE | i511400F | 32GB | GTX1650

i like this method, it would work well for my contract drawings.... is it possible to express the 'rainfall' slab as a percentage of the 'site' slab for site coverage? that would take a few manual calcs out of my process.

To get the percentage of the rainfall area compared to the site area, unfortunately you have to start inputting manual figures.

The slabs can not share information with each other and the schedules can not do calculations (other than simple summation).

So you need to start using 'Properties' with expressions.

You will need to create a property to calculate the percentage of rainfall area to the site area.

This property must be associated to a classification that is used for the rainfall slab.

But you will also need a property for the site area also associated to the same classification.

The unfortunate part is you need to manually add the value for the site area, because as I said the slabs can not share information.

Once you have it set up, it is automatic.

And generally the site are does not change - set it once and forget it basically.

There is a lot to learn about expression based properties if you do not know about them already.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Project-data-BIM/Expression-based-properties-FAQ/ta-p/303797

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Actually it could be done within the one rainfall slab automatically.

Because the size of that slab matches the size of the site, no need to manually input the site area.

Now you have the overall area and the conditional area, you just have to create a property with the expression to work out the percentage.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
mthd
Ace

Hi all above, it is important that flat rainfall area and site coverage area shouldn’t be confused.

We should know that when calculating rainfall areas on a roof plane that is inclined, that the area is increased by the angle of the slope. And each roof plane needs to be calculated separately to determine the gutter sizes and the number of down pipes needed in a particular rainfall area.

This is usually what an engineer would do and realistically, even the paving is sloped as well including so called flat roofs.

But definitely ok for calculating site coverage via SEO’s.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura